Via US Government, Foreign Agents Registration Act-FARA documents filed on 20 July 2016 – which confirmed the entire US$6 Million payment – the lobbyist’s task is to “attempt to influence United States policy toward…the creation of a national unity government acceptable” to the aforementioned.
“Halftar” spelling via the lobbyist, Ari Ben Menashe.
Washington DC Lobbyist-of-Choice for Libyans
Ari Ben Menashe, Washington DC lobbyist-of-choice for Libyans seeking to influence has filed yet another set of Libyan clients: “Libya HOR, President Agilah Saleh Issa, Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri, Khalifa Halftar, Murad AM. Elshrif”. His prior influence-seeking Libyan clients included in December 2013: “Cyrenaica Transitional Council, Ibrihim Said al-Jathran, Political Bureau of Cyrenaica Usama Buera” & Government of Cyrenaica, Ibrihim Said al-Jathran Usama Buera” AND in December 2014: “Anyurt-Libya Company is, to registrant’s best understanding, supervised by Libya’s GNC government in Tripoli” & “Anayurt Libya Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of the Libyan Investment and Development Company (LIDCO).” Our articles with FARA links: HERE & HERE.
“Libya HOR, President Agilah Saleh Issa, Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri, Khalifa Halftar, Murad AM. Elshrif”
When you think that the House of Representatives, Agila Saleh, Khalifa Heftar and Abdel Razak Al Nadhouri can’t be anymore out-of-step with the needs – desperate needs – of the Libyan people, we offer their most obtuse action to-date. This revelation comes at a time when electricity outages run for 10-12 hour stretches, food costs are rising, bank managers are murdering bank patrons execution-style over legitimate arguments on lack of liquidity.
And yet, the “Libya HOR, President Agilah Saleh Issa, Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri, Khalifa Halftar, Murad A.M. Elshrif” with complete disregard to the dire suffering of the Libyan people paid US$6 Million (Exhibit B Question 9) to the Washington lobbyist to:
“attempt to influence United States policy toward…the creation of a national unity government acceptable to the foreign principal.”
In other words, these Libyan public servants: “Libya HOR, President Agilah Saleh Issa, Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri, Khalifa Halftar, Murad AM. Elshrif” paid US$6 Million of much-needed Libyan hard-cash to hire a Washington DC lobbyist to try to influence the US government to get a unity government that was “acceptable” to them. In other words, to maintain control.
Astounding. Contrary to what they may think, public servants “Libya HOR, President Agilah Saleh Issa, Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri, Khalifa Halftar, Murad A.M. Elshrif” – are under the Libyan citizens’ employ, and are at Libyan citizens’ disposal. Not the other way around.
Is this the outrage when the international community finally surmises that The HoR+ Agilah Saleh + Khalifa Heftar + Abdel Razak Al Nadouri Show is just TOO embarrassing to continue to bestow with that title of “Internationally Recognized”?
Points to note of these two FARA registration statements:
- The consultancy agreement with Dickens & Madson Canada, Inc. was signed 5 November 2015 (the day after the Bernardino León/UAE email scandal was revealed in The Guardian on 4 November 2016 and same day an email was reprinted in the Middle East Eye.) Coincidence?
- The Lobbyist filed the registration statement on 20 July 2016.
- Named as the Foreign Principal (the Clients) are: Libya HOR, President Agilah Saleh Issa, Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri, Khalifa Halftar, Murad A.M. Elshrif
- US$6 Million has been confirmed paid (page 2 Question 14 compensation)
- US$6 Million consultancy fee was discounted down from US$8 Million.
- The consultancy agreement (page 7) notes the fee was “payable upon signature of this agreement” on 5 November 2015: “4. The fee for this consultancy agreement shall be US$6,000,000.00 payable upon signature of this agreement by wire transfer to the following account”
- Who signed? Agilah Saleh? Khalifa Heftar? Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri? Or Murad A.M. Elshrif?
Confirmation of Payment – Short Form Registration Statement
This US Government form signed and filed 20 July 2016 confirms his clients are “Libya HOR, President Agilah Saleh Issa, Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri, Khalifa Halftar, Murad A.M. Elshrif” and that Mr. Ben Menashe works on a “special basis”. Mr. Ben Menashe CONFIRMS THE RECEIPT of $US 6Million from his clients noting an additional US$400K is to come and “may receive distributions from the company in an amount not now known.” (Page 2 Question 14):
14. What compensation or thing of value have you received to date or will you receive for the above services?
Mr. Ben-Menashe is an owner of Dickens & Madson Canada, Inc. and may receive distributions from the company in an amount not now known. Dickens & Madson Canada, Inc. has received $6 million and is expecting to receive an additional $400,000.000.
AND Page 3 attached sheet – notes Mr. Ben Menashe’s lobbying activities:
11. Ari Ben-Menashe’s role is expected to include the provision of all services contemplated by the Consultancy Agreement of primary registrant, Dickens & Madson Canada, Inc., with the Libya HOR. Mr. Ben-Menashe is expected to establish and maintain contacts with the legislative and executive branches of the United States government and United States government agencies concerning the HOR and its leaders and is expected to communicate with United States policy makers, opinion leaders and members of the press with respect to activities of the HOR and its leaders.
A Relevant Comment on Ari Ben Menashe:
The prominent Canadian philosopher and Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at York University, Dr. Howard Adelman has given his critical insight into the issue of Libyan Assets Recovery for which we thank him. Dr. Adelman wrote this passage discussing Ari Ben Menashe’s past connections to the American Government. Interesting considering Mr. Menashe links to the US government and that he has been working constantly as a lobbyist in Libya since 2013. Given all the Libyan clients, also intriguing is that while working as Ibrahim Jathran’s agent the April 2014 Morning Glory oil tanker incident occurred as a direct result of Mr. Menashe’s stated lobbying activities. Dr. Adelman writes:
“The bottom line, of the three questionable agents in the race to recover the stolen loot, Menashe is by far the most experienced. After his service to Mossad, he went on to help ensure the election of Ronald Reagan in the fight against Jimmy Carter. He traces his résumé back to the election of Ronald Reagan for he was the agent who went to Tehran to persuade the government to continued holding the American hostages until after the election, thereby ensuring that Carter continue to bear the Scarlet letter of his inability to get the hostages returned while Reagan would enjoy the glory as part of his inauguration. Menashe was central in the Iran-Contra scandal and earlier in the plot to abduct Mordechai Vanunu from London and have him returned to Israel where Venunu spent decades in prison. Menashe’s apparent biggest handicap is that he has ostensibly been employed by the nominal government in Benghazi associated with al-Qaeda and, other than IS, least acceptable to Egypt, Russia and the U.S. Read More…
Dr. Adelman’s site is Howard Adelman, Politics, philosophy, film, and other things…
Given all these Libyan clients on either side of the political spectrum simultaneously, one must wonder if Mr. Ben Menashe has amused himself.
Applicable FARA links:
- FARA Quick Search: Search by primary registrant-active: Dickens & Madson Canada, Inc.
- FARA site: https://www.fara.gov/qs-primary.html
- FARA #6200 Registration Statement: for “Libya HOR, President Agilah Saleh Issa, Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri, Khalifa Halftar, Murad A.M. Elshrif.”
- Fara site: https://www.fara.gov/docs/6200-Exhibit-AB-20160720-4.pdf
- Our PDF copy: 6200-Exhibit-AB-20160720-4
- FARA 6200 Short Form-20160720 Ari Ben Menashe.
- FARA site: https://www.fara.gov/docs/6200-Short-Form-20160720-10.pdf
- Our PDF copy: 6200-Short-Form-20160720-10
FARA #6200 Registration Statement Dickson Madsen Canada, Inc. for “Libya HOR, President Agilah Saleh Issa, Abdulrazek Al-Nadhouri, Khalifa Halftar, Murad A.M. Elshrif.”
FARA 6200 Short Form-20160720 Ari Ben Menashe.
Our PDF copy: 6200-Short-Form-20160720-10
Parts of this op/ed article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.